SHOW EVALUATIONS

SHOW 1

The first show went okay. The preset did throw me off slightly as I wasn't really sure I was ready for the experience of greeting the audience, out of character, just before a show. Although it did make the show a lot more Brechtian. The first half, I did my parts without any mistakes however I think I was too self involved and again, wasn't thinking about the ensemble as much. I realised how much I rely on the ensemble because I heavily bounce off of the atmosphere created by the ensemble. I think I could have had a lot more energy and I need to work on my proxemics a bit. I don't think I was sharing to all 3 sides of the audience as much as I should have.  In the first half, there were a few lines dropped in pretty much every scene, but I don't think they were noticeable errors. In the interval, quite a few people were beating themselves up about it and that's why I think morale was quite low. This ended up with the rest of the show being fairly similar. Nothing catastrophic went wrong, but the show didn't feel like it was where it could easily be, There were however, moments which were spontaneous and great within it, it just didn't shine as much as it has the potential to. We definitely needed to have stronger singing as I could tell it was way to quiet and sounded so weak. During the storm scene, I was supposed to be 'conducting' it and making conducting movements, headbang/drum along to the song to create the impression that I was creating it. I didn't feel so comfortable doing it this first time as honestly, I felt stupid and wasn't sure what I was doing or if it was right. I thought my projection was good for this show although it's difficult to know who can hear what on each side. I did feel however, that I rushed some of my lines.


SHOW 2

The second show went a lot better than the first. I feel like we bounced off the audience a lot more which definitely pushed us to do so much better. I tried some things that I came up with in the first show that was spontaneous but they didn't work as well this time. I felt like my first scene wasn't as good as the first night and I think this was because it wasn't as spontaneous this time and therefore it didn't seem as natural. I think everyone's comedic timing was a lot better tonight. Everyone knew when to stop/start talking, interject etc... This makes it a much more comfortable experience for the audience. In the last death scene, I still think we can push it more. There needs to be more emotional connection to it and then I think we can really get it to the next level. I think we can do this by really finding more ways to make new choices, this means that everyone will bounce so much more off of each other. I think as an ensemble, we really owned it tonight. We gelled and worked together extremely well and the tsunami was probably the best I've ever seen it. Our singing was a lot better tonight and I could feel the energy radiating from the words, however we could still push it further. To improve tomorrow, we need to push the death scene further, and still push our singing even further. I need to make sure that I am constantly being spontaneous and making new choices as I was definitely less brave in this show in terms of my decisions. 


SHOW 3

Tonights show was the best version of the show we've ever done. We finally got it to the magical level we all knew it had the potential to get to. Everybody was being spontaneous and in the moment and we really connected to the audience well. From audience members I spoke to afterwards, a lot of them were emotionally invested in the show especially towards the end. For my first scene, I again tried stuff I had done before and I still don't think it worked as well as the first time, although there was a good reaction from the audience, internally I don't think it worked as well. The tsunami scene was awesome. The ensemble was a sea (pardon the pun) of unhinged, yet controlled, white hot anger.  At the death scene, I did accidentally trip over one person who was dying and although it was something I couldn't control, it still will have drawn attention away from what was going on in the scene. The set had not been on my side tonight either. Mainly the platform. The first issue posed was that the door wouldn't close by itself as it used to. This threw me off a bit as I have to stand behind it in the cage and it would just keep swinging open. So, to fix this, during the family scene, I took off one of my shoes and pushed it against the door. No one would have been able to see it. This is the kind of spontaneous thinking that I have been practicing this term and during the process of this show. Additionally, the platform that Sophia and I stand and sit on was extremely wobbly. This was not something I had any control over but I was worried that it would draw attention from the action on stage when I'm climbing up the platform as it starts to swing quite violently. 

I am very glad with what we finally achieved with this show and that we eventually got it to the point where we knew we could get it to. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2004 Tsunami

DRESS RUN

GIG THEATRE