Rehearsal 31.10.17 / 1.11.17

31.10.17

In todays lesson we started by doing our normal sidestretch routine warmup, but when we did, two contrasting pieces of music were played for each side. The first piece was a piece of heavy rock music. It really affected how I did the movement and I was a lot more aggressive and put more force and power behind the movement. The other side, a softer piece of piano music was played. I found myself being a lot lighter on my feet and softer with the movements.

I also did some independent rehearsals today and character work, which I will put into my character profile log.


1.11.17

We did our normal sidestretch warmup, but to another version of 'Through The Valley' which was the trailer for 'The Last Of Us Two', sung by Ellen Page. I felt shivers go down my spine when she started singing as there was a sort of sheathed anger underlying her singing, although it was so


We were told that this version is the sort of vibe that is wanted for when we play the song in our show. I solved this by changing the key and singing a lot softer. 


We then looked at devising the Tsunami scene we looked at a form of Japanese dance called Buhto. Buhto encompasses a diverse range of activities, techniques and motivations for dance, performance, or movement. The basis of the art form is known to "resist fixity". The founder Hijikata Tatsumi viewed the formalisation of butoh with "distress". Common features of the art form include playful and grotesque imagery, taboo topics, extreme or absurd environments, and it is traditionally performed in white body makeup with slow hyper-controlled motion. However, with time, butoh groups are increasingly being formed around the world, with their various aesthetic ideals and intentions.

We started by wrapping one of our hands in cling film, and then we all tried to break out of the cling film. We then tried that without the cling film on our hands but we had to keep that feeling of restriction. We then tried it but with our whole bodies to recreate the sort of fight you would have against a storm and a tsunami. There was something so beautiful but also so grotesque and horrifying about it when I watched others do it. 

We also look at the transition between Jacob and Franky's everyman. We tried to give the chase effect so Jacob gets on a running machine and runs from Death. I enjoyed doing this sequence as I think the use of the song really embodies my character of Death.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2004 Tsunami

DRESS RUN

GIG THEATRE